By 2030, an estimated $47.9 billion will transfer from one generation to the next. This presents an unprecedented opportunity for nonprofit organizations to receive game-changing bequests and other planned gifts. A volunteer-led initiative, Leave a Legacy® Minnesota, a program of the Minnesota Planned Giving Council, inspires people from all walks of life and all income levels to think beyond their lifespan about gifts to their favorite charities.
Are you doing everything you can to prepare your nonprofit?
- Charities Review Council – www.smartgivers.org
Charities Review Council’s mission is to mobilize informed donors and accountable nonprofits for the greater good.
- Minnesota Planned Giving Council – www.mnpgc.org
MPGC is the professional association for people whose work includes developing, marketing and administering charitable planned gifts.
- Minnesota Council of Nonprofits – www.minnesotanonprofits.org
MCN works to inform, promote, connect and strengthen individual nonprofits and the nonprofit sector.
- Minnesota Council on Foundations – www.mcf.org
MCF works actively to expand and strengthen a vibrant community of diverse grantmakers who individually and collectively advance the common good. MCF members represent three-quarters of all grantmaking in the state, awarding more than $1 billion annually.
- Management Assistance Program for Nonprofits. – www.mapfornonprofits.org
MAP works with more than 500 organizations a year, building their capacity to govern, lead, and operate their organizations effectively.
- Minnesota Community Foundation – www.mncommunityfoundation.org
The Minnesota Community Foundation has been working for more than 60 years to help Minnesotans find creative ways to have an impact on their communities.
- The Saint Paul Foundation – www.saintpaulfoundation.org
The Saint Paul Foundation and Minnesota Community Foundation share a board of directors, which also oversees the shared services of Minnesota Philanthropy Partners to ensure that we are as efficient and effective as possible.
- Partnership for Philanthropic Planning – www.pppnet.org
The Partnership for Philanthropic Planning serves people and organizations that work together to make charitable giving most meaningful.
It is difficult for many organizations, especially small ones, to reach and educate people about planned giving. Participation in Leave a Legacy Minnesota helps to level the playing field for all non-profits. It also helps to create an environment where everyone benefits from increased charitable giving.
To assist your organization in being part of the largest intergenerational wealth transfer in history, we invite your organization to join Leave a Legacy Minnesota. Leave a Legacy Minnesota is working to raise awareness in the community of the value of having a will and leaving a bequest to charity.
How to benefit from Leave a Legacy right away:
- Invite a speaker to address your Board members or staff about Leave a Legacy’s work.
- Get Board endorsement of the project and your organization’s participation.
- Link your website to ours. Find out more…
- If you have a newsletter, run a series of articles about planned giving in general and Leave a Legacy specifically. Include any testimonials from your donors about their giving.
- Personalize the Leave a Legacy brochures with your own logo or name.
- Mail Leave a Legacy brochures to your closest supporters with a cover letter personally signed by the Executive Director or Board President.
- Invite supporters to a presentation, and use someone from the Leave a Legacy Speakers Bureau to talk about planned giving.
- Use the Leave a Legacy logo in all materials about gift planning.